- Recording project - add layers of tracks to their songs, and have a blast arranging with different instruments.
- Research music history - illustrate, write a book report on a composer, song, or musical period.
- Musical pen-pals - have students write each other & share their recorded songs via mp3s.
- Studio music project book - make a collection of student-chosen projects to view
- Score a "film" clip - set music to a scene from a favorite film, or slideshow of photos.
- World music map - put a pin in a map to show where everyone's songs are from!
- FREE DOWNLOAD The "Challenge Wheel" - wheel of fortune type game, with music challenges in each pie! I created this game because it is fun to spin a wheel :) Come up with challenges for the students on-the-spot based on their level.
- FREE DOWNLOAD "SUMMER BINGO" - a different weekly challenge for a lively summer piano studio
Have you tried playing scales to cool rock backing tracks or bossa nova style accompaniments? It is really fun.
Here is a Youtube playlist I made for my students to make practicing scales more fun. Once they know a scale, we improvise using the scale. Jazz, blues, pop, or free improv - have fun! That's what making music is all about after all!
For more advanced improv, check out this blog post on Jazz Advice.com (20 things every improvisor should know) love it!
Try different types of accompanying, such as Contra-dance music to improvise with chords and scales.
Playlists of Fun Songs
Playlist of Fun Songs for Beginning Piano Students
Playlist of Videos for Kids